Administers policies relating to all phases of human resources activity including benefits, recruitment, and risk management. Must have a basic understanding of all responsibilities within the Human Resources Department by performing duties in one or more of the following functions. Oversees the safety and risk programs for the Elk Valley Rancheria, California, Elk Valley Casino, and Tribal Entities’ team members and guests by developing and implementing an effective safety, hazard control and emergency preparedness program; assessing risks and hazards and making effective recommendations for action and correction; interpreting, applying and explaining applicable laws, codes, regulations and guidelines; performing technical, detailed safety, hazard, and environmental research; preparing clear and concise reports, educational and informational materials, correspondence and other written materials; using initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines in accordance and in compliance with appropriate rules and regulations within the law, Tribal Ordinances, and internal policies and procedures; contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socioeconomic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds; making effective oral presentations to large and small groups. Coordinate with General Counsel, Tribal Council, and third parties on loss prevention programs, safety training, as well as post-accident review and follow-up.
Human Resource Function
- Records employee information such as personal data, compensation, promotions, transfers, performance reviews or evaluation, and termination date and reason, and employee statistics for government reporting.
- Updates employee files to document personnel actions and to provide information for payroll and other issues.
- Research and compiles data from personnel records and prepares reports.
- Prepares related documentation to separation notices.
- Develop and maintain all forms in the department including correct formatting.
- Maintain functionality of all HRIS programs.
- Examines employee files to answer inquiries and provides information to authorized persons.
- Computes wages and records data for use in payroll processing.
- Maintain and update training and safety library.
- Coordinate and maintain all requests for leave paperwork including but not limited to Workers’ Compensation, FMLA, and PDL.
- Complete required reports to Workers’ Compensation TPA for employee injuries.
- Maintain Workers’ Compensation cases to ensure correct processing.
- Complete, coordinate, and process wage garnishments in conjunction with payroll.
- Ensure that all employee inquires regarding LOAs are answered.
- Perform all duties to ensure LOA employee’s benefits are paid to date.
- Coordinate with Finance in review of all payrolls.
- Responds to all wage verification for disability.
- Research and compiles data for Human Resources Director.
- Tracks and distributes benefit packets to eligible employees in a timely manner.
- Compiles and maintains records for use in employee benefits administration.
- Keeps record of benefits plans participation such as insurance.
- Administers benefits program such as life, health, dental, vision.
- Submits COBRA notifications to TPA.
- Provide demographic information for insurance bids.
- Assist Human Resources Director with benefit renewal and open enrollment.
- Reconcile insurance invoices before submitting to the Accounting Department for payment.
- Assist in start up and maintaining HRIS benefit system.
- Assist Tribal Members in the coordination of benefits.
- Performs payments and coordination for Tribal Member Health Care Program
- Develops and administers programs to ensure employee safety and compliance with safety, health and environmental regulations.
- Develops and implements, after approval, internal safety rules, policies and guidelines; prepares manuals, training outlines and employee instructions.
- Reviews all reports of Team Member accidents, injury, or illness and identifies prevention programs and trainings.
- Conducts post-incident investigation to assess and mitigate risk factors; provides appropriate follow up to address employee performance or conduct issues which contribute to unsafe work practices or environments by working with management and Tribal First
- Coordinates and/or facilitates employee training and retraining on safety standards.
- Contacts Security, Surveillance, and other management as necessary to collect any missing data and ensure comprehensive information is included with all reports; sets appropriate standards and provides feedback to reporting parties.
- Produces reports and analysis at least quarterly regarding workplace safety incidents; provides current and trending reports to department heads, Human Resources Manager, and executives.
- Identifies, recommends, and implements safety programs and ensures accountability for new employees to receive targeted safety training during their introductory period; ensures regular retraining and certification as prescribed.
- Develops and maintains safety policies, ensures responsible parties receive training as needed.
- Coordinates external training resources and personally facilitates safety training as necessary in conjunction with the general employee trainings.
- Facilitates departmental and cross-functional safety teams; develops employee safety communication plans and documents including emergency response planning.
- Makes regularly scheduled and unscheduled visits to all departments and areas of the property, particularly those with high incident rates, to assess safety conditions.
- Provides regular feedback to operational leaders on areas for improvement.
- Maintains expert knowledge of Worker’s Comp ordinance and regulation provisions and working knowledge of California, Federal, and tribal Worker’s Compensation laws, and related regulations including FMLA, ADA, OSHA, and HIPAA, among others.
- Organize and facilitates a Safety Committee to meet once a month.
- Maintains up-to-date inspections on fire extinguishers.
- Ensures first aid boxes are current and stocked at each property.
- Observes work in progress, ensures that proper safety equipment is worn and procedures are followed.
- Notifies management staff regarding violations of safety regulations and codes; makes recommendations for corrections and follows-up to ensure that violations have been corrected.
- Analyzes hazards and develops risk assessments for both public areas and work sites; develops policies, plans and procedures to minimize risk to the public and employees.
- Investigates safety and health complaints submitted by management, employees, employee organizations, the public and/or regulatory agencies; evaluates concerns and alternatives, resolves complaints and makes recommendations to management for corrective action, as required.
- Prepares, distributes and reviews employee questionnaires regarding health and safety issues; performs a variety of environmental tests using sophisticated testing equipment; records and summarizes results and prepares recommendations based upon study results.
- Ensures that all activities comply with all environmental regulations regarding hazardous substance handling and disposal.
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
Communication – Must have exceptional people skills. Able to communicate effectively with any customer and employees at all levels.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations
Ethics – Treat people with respect; inspire the trust of others; work with integrity and ethically; uphold organizational values.
Interpersonal Skills - Maintains high level of confidentiality.
Motivation - Must be self-motivating and able to motivate employees at all levels to achieve the company’s long and short term goals.
Oral Communication-Listen and get clarification; Respond well to questions.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
Professionalism - Follows through on commitments.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Teamwork – Contribute to building a positive team spirit; Support everyone’s effort to succeed.
Technical Skills - Shares expertise with others.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively.
Assists department manager and supervisor in absence of the department manager.
Associates degree in approved related field/s or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; and five (5) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present and provide information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as discounts, interest, fractions, ratios, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Review and/or audit internal documents to ensure accuracy of purchases, revenue, and errors of transaction.
Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of uncertain variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret, communicate, and delegate instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and suggest a plan of action as necessary.
To perform this job, successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Outlook e-mail, internet, faxing, printing, copying, and HRIS. Must type at a minimum of 25 words per minute.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to see and hear, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to assure that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate; and limited exposure to cleaning chemicals.
Must be able to work under stressful situations. Drug and Alcohol free workplace.